LadyWesley

Lady Wesley's Salon

Historical romance.

The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #6)
Jennifer Ashley
The Virgin Huntress - Victoria Vane I'll repeat what I said in my review of A Wild Night's Bride, Book One in The Devil DeVere series:
Victoria Vane must have lived a previous life in Georgian England. She gets the setting, the people, and the clothes just right. Most of all, though, she has the dialogue down to a tee. These people sound like they've stepped out of a novel actually written in the late 18th century.
In the first book DeVere's widowed friend Sir Edward Chambers comes to London to prepare for his daughter's come out and winds up a week later blissfully married to Phoebe Scott, an aspiring actress. Back home in Yorkshire his daughter, Lady Vesta, is not amused to watch her father play the besotted fool, so she flounces off to London in the company of her godmother, Lady Diana Palmerston-Wriothesley.

In London, Lady Vesta disobeys her godmother's warning to steer clear of Lord DeVere. He is, after all, her godfather. She meets and instantly is smitten by his younger brother, Captain Hewett DeVere, who has returned from the war in America wanting nothing more than to settle into a quiet life with a quiet wife. Coddled, impetuous Lady Vesta is not his idea of the perfect wife. When Hew begins to show interest in Lady Diana, Vesta decides to take desperate measures to capture Hew's attentions. In this she is aided by her godfather, who more than lives up to his nickname.

I won't spoil the rest by relating Hew and Vesta's adventure. Let me just say that my spectacles steamed up reading about it. Victoria Vane has a decided talent for hot, steamy sex scenes.

I could not, however, like this book as well as the first, primarily because I despised Vesta. At one point, Hew says to her, "You conniving creature! How can you possibly think I could ever love such a spoiled, petulant, self-absorbed, and scheming little wretch?" Of course, his attitude changes later, but alas mine did not. It is a tribute to Ms Vane's writing skills, however, that I thoroughly enjoyed reading about a heroine whom I disliked so much.

During the course of this story we learn that Lord DeVere and Lady Diana have a history and I can't wait to read about that in
The Devil You Know, coming up in July. Many thanks to Victoria Vane for offering me an advance read of this story in return for an honest review.