LadyWesley

Lady Wesley's Salon

Historical romance.

The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #6)
Jennifer Ashley
The Duke (Knight Miscellany, #1) - Gaelen Foley I just finished reading a book about which I complained that nothing happened. Well, lots of stuff happens in The Duke.

What I Liked
The plot. This is a romance with lots of plot!

The characters. Lots of characters too. Besides the main ones, I enjoyed the way the author worked in real people, such as Lord Castlereagh and Harriette Wilson.

Belinda. She's one of the strongest heroines I've read about. And she shows lots of gumption when she leaves Hawkscliffe (for a darn good reason too).

Politics. The author gives us a glimpse into the dark underside of Regency life, where an impoverished woman was often left with no choice but to sell her body, where people were put in prison for being unable to pay their debts, and where most of the upper class was utterly insensitive to the plight of ordinary people. The scenes involving political issues were quite enlightening.

What I Didn't Like
The villains. The bad guys were sooo bad as to be unbelievable. And for some reason, I felt a little bit sorry when Dolph was killed in the duel. Couldn't he have been redeemed?

"He guided his massive erection into her teeming threshold." Teeming: To be full of things; abound or swarm. I shudder to think what could be teeming down there. (And why, dear reader, must all romance heroes be larger than normal? At least we didn't have the overworked scene where the woman looks at it and is just sure it won't fit.)

I've now read the first and the last of the Knight Miscellany series, and chances are I'll read the rest. Eventually.