LadyWesley

Lady Wesley's Salon

Historical romance.

The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #6)
Jennifer Ashley
Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2) - Lorraine Heath I've already read the first and third books in the Scoundrels of St. James series, and like the other two this one is a four-star for me.

What I Liked
Jack Dodger, whose persona is a bit darker than his cohorts in crime, is infuriating and appealing at the same time. And once again, I was charmed by the relationship that develops between the rogue and a child, in this case the five-year-old Duke of Lovingdon. The romance between Jack and the boy's mother develops gradually and in a believable manner.

I enjoyed the reappearance of characters from the other books too. While they were secondary characters, their roles were much more than just walk-ons. In this sense, the series reminds me a bit of Mary Balogh's Bedwyn Saga, where the brothers and sisters show up in every volume and we learn more of the back story in each.

What I Didn't Like
I suppose that it's inevitable when you're reading the same author repeatedly, but the love scenes in all of the books resemble one another so much that I found myself skimming. Skimming the sex scenes? What's up with that?

Conclusion
This was a touching and humorous love story, with lots of surprises about Jack Dodger. I recommend that the series be read in order.