LadyWesley

Lady Wesley's Salon

Historical romance.

The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #6)
Jennifer Ashley
Flowers from the Storm - Laura Kinsale,  Nicholas Boulton Can I give it a hundred stars? A thousand?

My GR friend Caz opened her review of this audiobook by saying, “It’s absolutely fantastic, so go and buy it immediately!” I can only add that this is an understatement.

I read this book in 2011 and gave it four stars. Although I thought it was a wonderful story, the annoying Quaker heroine kept it from being a five star read for me. Caz's review, however, finally inspired me to take a chance on an audiobook, and I'm so glad that I did.

In the excellent hands of narrator Nicholas Boulton, Maddie-girl goes from annoying to inspiring, and the truly damaged hero, Jervalux, is unforgettable. Mr. Boulton does a brilliant job in capturing the thoughts and halting words of this man whose brain has been scrambled by what we recognize as a stroke but what his family thinks is insanity. And even Maddie-girl's "thees and thous" ceased to bother me. His range of voices is remarkable; each of the many characters is instantly recognizable -- from the dragon aunt to Jervaulx's buddies to Maddie's elderly father.

I simply do not have the vocabulary to convey how wonderful this audiobook is. So I'll stop here and repeat:

“It’s absolutely fantastic, so go and buy it immediately!”