LadyWesley

Lady Wesley's Salon

Historical romance.

The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #6)
Jennifer Ashley
Lessons in French - Laura Kinsale I find myself surprisingly 'meh' about this book. It's a sweet romance about young lovers reunited years later, and I thoroughly enjoyed that part. I became annoyed, however, with some of the comedy -- the bull being stolen and the livestock show were just distractions to me. Also, the way Trev kept popping in and out of Callie's house, his mother's house, and the hotel were irritating. And were we meant to understand that Trev was a virgin?
“To answer your question—yes, I’ve had other opportunities,” he said brusquely. “Yes, I’ve taken some up. But something always stopped me in the breach. I don’t know if you can understand that. I don’t know that I understood it myself until lately. But I seem to be yours, Callie. Body and soul.” He didn’t sound as if it made him happy. “I will be till I die.”
Rather unbelievable.

Laura Kinsale is a beautiful writer, though, and I enjoyed the book overall.

Favorite quote:
“My God.” He pushed away from the bedpost. “Friends! And do you fall into bed with any man who’s ‘dear’ to you? How am I to take that?”

“Of course I don’t.” She stood up, letting the knotted scarf slip away. “I can’t seem to help myself. With you. About that. It’s extremely vexing.”

“You’re quite right on that count,” he said sullenly. “I’m damned vexed. I’d like to vex you right here on the floor, in fact. And the idea of Sturgeon vexing you is enough to dispose me to murder. Is that clear?

Do you comprehend me?” He took a reckless stride toward her and caught her chin between his fingers. “I’m not your friend, my lady. I’m your lover.”