LadyWesley

Lady Wesley's Salon

Historical romance.

The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #6)
Jennifer Ashley
Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2) - Tessa Dare The first half of this book gets a 3 and the second half a 5, thus the 4-star rating.

Sophia Hathaway's voyage to Tortola on the Aphrodite takes up the first half, as she and our hero, Benedict "Gray" Grayson, struggle with their attraction to one another. The journey is loooong, and when the ship becomes becalmed the story does as well. I almost put the book into the DNF category.

Things pick up, however, when the action moves to another ship, and the lovebirds give in to their passion. More developments await in Tortola, and there's a clever courtroom scene where Sophia surrenders to the court and declares herself to be a pirate.

Both Sophia and Gray learn a lot about themselves and each other. The proverbial motley crew and Gray's black half-brother, Joss, contribute interesting side stories, and I'm sorry that Joss didn't get his own book.

I expect I'll move on to the final installment, where Sophia's jilted groom makes a revenge play for Gray's innocent young sister.

This is an enjoyable read, but not nearly as entertaining as Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove books.