LadyWesley

Lady Wesley's Salon

Historical romance.

The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #6)
Jennifer Ashley
She Tempts the Duke (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #1) - Lorraine Heath I wanted to love the book, but it just didn't grab me.

What I Liked

Sebastian is a compelling tortured hero, so scarred in the Battle of Balaclava that he considers himself a monster. We get glimpses of his two colorful brothers (thus setting up the next two books), and they have their own demons. The opening scene, in which the three of them burst, pistols drawn, into a ball being given by their uncle, is quite exciting.

Bill Graves, from the Scoundrels of St. James series, and the Duke of Ainsley, from Waking Up With the Duke, make cameo appearances.

What I Didn't Like

The idea that the brothers' uncle planned to kill the three brothers in order to become the duke and this is after killing his own father and brother was just too over the top. There was never an adequate explanation for how he planned to get away with it. Also, it never was clear why the brothers stayed away so long -- twelve years -- before coming back to claim their rightful places.

Conclusion

Despite the melodramatic background, not a lot happens in this book. Mary is compromised and jilted by her fiancee; Sebastian marries her out of honor; they fall in love. The end. I expect the brothers' stories will be more exciting.